Eating disorders aren't something most people know much about, and those who think they do are often misinformed -- believing and perpetuating some troublesome myths about the disease. One of the things that's gotta give if we're really going to get to the other side of eating disorders is our tolerance for misinformation. We need to bust the myths! Eating disorders are NOT ...
- About vanity, about looking good - they're about suffering
- About food -- they're about much deeper emotional issues
- Just a young person's disease -- people of all ages suffer
- A woman's disease -- men are affected too, as is the LGBTQ+ community
- A simple disease -- eating disorders are complex
- Discernible by the way someone looks -- sufferers come in all body shapes
- A choice people make -- they're a serious mental illness